Scientist search in Mars only for water, why?
Every planet is found in their telescope, scientist thinks for water on their surface, why?
Because, water means life. A drop of water may be the evidence of life.
The real truth is we are made of water! Yes, about 60% of our body composition is water. Our brain and heart are composed of 73% water, and the lungs are about 83% water. The skin contains 64% water, muscles and kidneys are 79%, and even the bones are watery: 31%. (http://water.usgs.gov/edu/propertyyou.html )
So, water really means life. We always neglect to drink adequate amount of water. Most of the people remain in chronic dehydrated stage.
Let’s see how our body needs water-
1. Water remains in every cell of our body:
More than 60% of a cell contains water. It persist as intra cellular fluid as the main content of cell cytoplasm, enzymes, hormones, main contributor of any cellular organelle in each cell. Or persist as extra cellular fluid such as plasma, urine, peritoneal fluid, intestinal fluids, cerebrospinal fluid etc. It is the main composition of every organ of our body.
2. It is the main mediator for every metabolic reaction:
Without water any cellular organelle cannot work. Every metabolic reaction takes places by the presence of water. Dehydrated cells may die within few hours.
3. Helps in growth:
Without water cellular growth is impossible. Low water intake may cause restriction of cellular growth by reducing different hormone synthesis and arresting cell division like mitosis.
4. Helps to maintain the faction of every organ:
It is not only main contributor of a organ formation, it also necessary to maintain its normal physiology. Brain, heart, kidney, lungs, even hard bone also need water to maintain their normal function.
5. Transport function:
Blood is the main transporter of nutrient and oxygen of our body. Plasma causes transport of antibodies and electrolytes. Blood cell and plasma both are formed mainly by water. Blood cell production is dependent on adequate amount of water in our body.
6. Immune function: Dehydrated person lose their immunity gradually. Immune cell production and transportation depends on body fluid.
7. Helps in digestion and absorption: It helps in digestion of food by preparing different enzymes and gut hormones. It also helps to maintain our bowel habit.
Water has countless effects and needs in our body. These are basics of our body. Without water we can’t live. But these are not visible to us. So we don’t care about taking of plenty of water.
There are some effects that we can easily understand-
- It keeps you hydrated: Water keeps you hydrated and you feel fresh.
- Helps to maintain muscle strength: It helps to maintain muscle physiology. Dehydration may cause fatigability and weakness of your muscle.
- Helps skin looking good: 64% of skin tissue is composed of water. Dehydration causes loss of your skin shininess, smoothness and increase dryness and wrinkle. We use different moisturizers to prevent dryness but we are unaware to take water or fluid adequately.
- It helps cleaning inner body: Kidney and stool with the help of water excrete different toxic waste product by formation of urine and stool.
- Helps in weight loss: It is a drink contains no calorie. It helps in fat burn and adequate water intake may help to feel satiety. So, frequent water intake may cause weight loss.
- Maintain normal bowel function: It is necessary to form soft stool. Plenty of water drinking helps to get rid of constipating bowel habit.
- Prevent joint pain: Synovial fluid act as a lubricant in joint space. 98% composition of synovial fluid is water. So adequate water intake helps to prevent joint pain.
- Prevents heart attack: Drinking a good amount of water reduces your risks of a heart attack. A six-year study published in the May 1, 2002 American Journal of Epidemiology found that those who drink more than 5 glasses of water a day were 41% less likely to die from a heart attack during the study period than those who drank less than two glasses. (http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/155/9/827.full)
- Prevents headache: If you are mildly dehydrated, headache may arise as your first symptom. Water is need for brain and CSF (cerebrospinal fluid). Most of the people may feel headache at mid day, because at that hour we may remain at dehydrated state.
- Mood improvement: Drink water makes you fresh. It has great effect on mood improvement.
- Prevent cancer: Daily plenty of water taking reduces risk of colon cancer 45%. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10404059 ), bladder cancer by 50% (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/331514.stm) and potentially reduce the risk of breast cancer.
There are thousands of benefits to drink adequate amount of water.
How water losses occur from our body?
Water is excreted through different ways, like-
- Skin evaporation
- Urination (highest)
- With stool
Which factors increases water loss?
- Hot and warm climate : causes excessive sweating
- Exercise: Increase sweating and breathing.
- In high altitude: Increases breathing.
- Older people: They have less subcutaneous fat. So skin evaporation increased.
- Disease- Some disease causing diarrhea, vomiting etc
- Pregnancy and lactation.
So, if we are facing any factors among this we have to intake more water than our regular requirements.
The 8 cup myth:
It is a myth. It is not scientifically established that we need 8 cup of water daily. But it is true that if we take minimum 8 cup of water, we can easily maintain a good physical status regarding water demand. But if any of the dehydration causing factors is present, we have to take more water.
We all know about the importance and benefits of water. But still we are drinking water as the second most popular drink! Yes, 1st one is soft drink. Water is maintaining internal environment of our body. So, don’t be reluctant to drink adequate amount of pure water.
Dr. Hasan Ebna Amin