Sleep is a naturally recurring state,
characterized by altered consciousness level.
Don’t be afraid. It’s not a coma. It is easily reversible. During sleep the ability of our body to reacts any stimuli is decreased. Because in this time our all sensory activities and about all voluntary muscle activities is inhibited. It is a natural phenomenon for all animals. It is true that, scientists still do not have a definitive explanation why we need sleep.
But what will happen if sleep is disturbed? Sleep disturbance or Insomnia, are common terms used by more than 60 % of adult people.
People, who are suffering from sleep disorders, do not get adequate or restorative sleep and sleep deprivation is associated with a number of both physical and emotional disturbances. They feel dizzy and lethargic all the day and can’t enjoy any work. Some people try with sedatives for sleep. But again feel dizzy during work hour as a side effect. So what should we do?
Try to follow these steps and hopefully you will get a better sleep.
- Select your sleeping hours and follow it strictly:
- At first choose your sleeping hours. Your target should be daily 6 to 8 hours of sleep. Go to bed and wake up at specific time daily. Be strict to follow it. Always go to bed at same time at night and use an alarm to wake up at morning.
- Never look for time. Even you are failed to sleep and passing hours to get a sleep. Don’t think how many hours you couldn’t sleep. Wake up at specific time at morning.
- Try to forget the sleepless night. You have to think you slept your selected hours. Don’t try to take a nap thinking that you have to fulfill your daily sleep requirement. But taking 10-15 minute short nap at afternoon is good for your work. You can take it by closing your eyes and relaxing your muscle at your workplace in a chair.
- Repeat it next night and next nights. After few days your sleep cycle will be restored in your brain. It is called biological clock or circadianrhythm of our body which is mediated by neurons and hormones. (http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/sleep-and-your-body-clock-topic-overview )
- After going to bed avoid any kind of work such as browsing news by your mobile or using phone for unnecessary conversations. Just switch the light off and ready for sleeping.
- Create a proper sleeping environment:
- Don’t use your bed room for your office work.
- Get relaxed before sleeping. Taking a shower before sleeping is helpful.
- Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillows. But be careful about allergens. Try to clean them regularly. Any odd odor or color which can make you irritated and anxious should be avoided.
- You should use dark quiet and interruption free bed room.
- If possible air conditioning and suitable temperature should be maintained.
- Exercise and relaxing activities and set mood before going to bed:
- Take regular exercise. It can be light as yoga or moderate as cardiac friendly as walking and jogging or heavy for body building. Morning is the preferable time. Exercise and a bath at morning will make you fresh and dizziness will be gone.
- Take light meditation or yoga practice before bed time for few minutes. It relaxes and relieves stress. An anxiety free relax mood is necessary for a good sleep.
- You can do your favorite activities like watching TV shows or reading books for half an hour. But never try it after switching off your light at your bed time.
- Dietary habit:
- Finish your sapper at least 2 hours before sleep time. Eating or drinking too much may make you uncomfortable. Avoiding heavy meal closing to bed time is good. Try to avoid spicy food and restrict fluid intake before bed time. Spicy food may cause heartburn.
- Avoid caffeine. Don’t eat too much coffee or tea in a day. They stimulate our nervous system and causes excitement. Try to take last cup of coffee or tea at least 7-8 hours before your bed time.
- Don’t use nicotine as a cigarette or other tobacco products. It is also a central nervous system stimulant.
- Avoid alcohol close to bedtime. Although many people think, it is a sedative. But it disrupts sleep and causes nighttime awakening.
So, try to follow these four steps. You will sleep better.
Dr. Hasan Ebna Amin