Dieting is now a trendy matter. But don’t take as lightly as you think. Within 2050, 50% of the adult population of developed countries will be obese.
Do you know in 2007 The UK spent £4.2 billion for treating overweight and obesity, and related morbidity?
Don’t diet, because it is trendy, please diet for your health.
Let’s find out how to be creative in choosing food for your diet plan. Follow 5 steps to make a good diet plan.
Calculate your calorie need and set a goal.
Your daily calorie need depends upon your height, weight, age, sex and energy expenditure. Include all types of major food containing carbohydrate, protein, fat and small amount of all types of vitamins and minerals. Don’t forget about drinking plenty fresh water.
Don’t avoid fat and carbohydrates by believing myths because you need-
- 25-35% of your total daily calorie requirement from protein.
- 35-50% of your daily calorie requirement from carbohydrates
- And about 15-30% of your daily calorie intake from fat containing foods.
And you have to eat-
- Protein: Daily 1.5gm-2gm/Kg bodyweight containing all types off essential and semi essential amino acids.
- Carbohydrate: Daily 6gm-8gm/kg body weight to get energy.
- Fat: 1-1.5gm/Kg body weight containing essential fatty acids
Now calculate your calorie requirement-
- You will get about 9 Kilocalorie from 1gm fat, 4 Kilocalorie for 1gm protein and 4 kilocalorie from 1gm carbohydrate.
Still having some problem to calculate? There are many calorie counting apps and software to make it easy. Just Google it.
You have to eat very minimum amount of all types of vitamins and minerals. Fruits and vegetables are the main source. You can take quality multivitamin and mineral supplements too.
And an easy rule:
If you decrease your calorie intake about 500 kilocalorie per day, you will lose 500 gm weight weekly.
Set a calorie requirement, Choose food types you need and fix a goal.
Try to know more about your regular foods.
Don’t make so much changes in your daily foods. You have to keep in your mind that for a diet if you change your food pattern hugely it may affect your budget and it may hamper your daily activities. So you will be irregular to maintain it.
So, know more about your regular food items. Search their calorie count. Make a list which you will keep in your diet and which should be avoided. Calculate their requirement and distribute them according to your meal.
Such as if you want to take red meat. Calculate its calorie count per gram and divide it into your lunch and dinner according to your lunch and dinner calorie target. If you want to take fish next day, do the same.
Add some food.
Eat minimum 5 servings of vegetables and fruits. It’s better if you take 9.
Don’t be surprised. 5-9 serving of vegetables and fruits will meet your all types of vitamin and mineral requirements.
Most importantly they will meet your daily fiber requirement, a strong food ingredient, to lose weight.
It also helps to inhibit your hunger centre by filling your stomach.
Drink more fresh water. Avoid sugary beverages. But you can take non calorie containing flavored juice if you don’t like to drink water frequently.
Avoid some food and meal.
Avoid frequent intake of sugary beverages and snacks during work and gossiping with your friend. Don’t think them as light calorie containing foods. Because, a study shows by daily drinking of the so called fruit juice and sugary beverages or soft drinks you could gain up to 5 pounds in a year.
These foods are not necessary to intake. They will add more calories to your diet plan without your concern.
Avoid alcohol intake. Don’t take it in a large amount. All types of alcohol are packed with calorie.
Reduce fatty food intake. Don’t avoid it. Without some fat your vitamins like vitamin- A, D, E, and K will not be absorbed from your gastrointestinal tract. And some metabolic process will be impaired.
Try to avoid overeating in the festivals and social occasions. It will ruin your diet. It is common in our society that we work hard for maintaining diet and eat 2-3 meal heavily saying that it is okay in a week. But it will fail you to reach your goal.
Don’t follow the myths:
Some food myths are present here. Like-
- ‘Fast food should be strictly avoided’. But if anyone takes fatty food more at home there is no benefit then.
- ‘Has to avoid red meat which contains protein and high amount of fat’- some red meat contains essential amino acids and fatty acid. Complete avoidance may develop deficiency of them.
- ‘Only fruits at breakfast are good for losing weight’- But breakfast should be the best meal after prolongs fasting.
- ‘Skipping meal, a way to lose weight quickly’- It may cause peptic ulcer disease and increase intake of food in the next meal for hunger.
- ‘Being vegetarian will make you skinny’- But most of the vegetarians suffer from anemia due to protein deficiency.
- ‘Without weight loss supplement you can’t lose your weight’- But most of these products are not regulated by FDA like government authority. Quality is the factor. Otherwise it may be helpful but not an essential thing to take for weight loss.
It is not too hard to a make a proper diet plan. But following the diet is the key. Please try to follow them properly. And take exercise daily. Because without energy expenditure weigh loss is difficult with a good diet plan.
Dr. Hasan Ebna Amin